Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The BEE"S in the Lavender BASIL

Lavender Basil Lovingly Embraces Cole Crops

I haven't found a Lavender Variety that wants to flourish in my humid Texas Gulf Coast Climate. I've tried them all, only to be disappointed. So I was very intrigued when I discovered this Lavender Basil. A lovely garden friend so graciously shared seeds with me from her garden. 

The discovery didn't come until late in July, so I knew I would barely have time to get them grown to flower for seeds of my own before the chance of an early frost. I had to go for it quickly! I had a fantastic germination rate and quickly added the plants to lovingly embrace the broccoli, cabbages and Brussels sprouts. 

This combination of companion planting showed tremendous benefits in deterring insects that might want to creep into the Cole crops. But more than that, I was totally surprised by the onset of every type of BEE that could possibly be found simply lavishing in lavender abundance.

My deepest dreams of traveling the countryside of Southern France and running through the hills and fields of lavender suddenly became real in my own gardens right here in Texas....only in a basil sort of way. As I began harvesting baskets full of blooms enhanced with the light sweet floral essence, I found myself totally enchanted.

The questions have been pouring in as to how I intended to use my Lavender Basil. When I first caught wind of this herb my first thoughts were on the perfect answer for creating my favorite blend of Herb De Provence.  Since the French version includes both Basil and Lavender...well....  ;)

French Baguettes with Herbs

You may find it delightful in a savory herb baguette! You'll find my recipe right here!

You might enjoy my story about creating your own Herb De Provence as well!!

Happy Gardening!
Pammy

6 comments:

  1. I love this article and I can't wait to grow my own lavender basil! With lavender and basil being two of my favorite herbs, I'm thrilled at the thought of the two combined into one! Thank you for another wonderful article! I can't wait to make your bread too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I love bread, Pammy! I was drooling reading your baguette recipe. I took a class too many years ago and then never made another loaf! Probably would be as big as my house if I had! Sorry you can't grow lavender. I guess we don't have quite the humidity that Texas has. Glad you found the lavender basil. xxoo LVL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bread too LOL so we do try to keep it as a treat more often than not. It is strange on the Lavender because they can grow it rather successfully N. of us in Austin....and actually in San Antonio as well...but here we are soooooo humid! Not even the Mexican variety holds well for me...perhaps in pots for the greenhouse only. But I do have this special basil now indeed!! xxoo

      Delete
  3. Ok now I am on the hunt for Lavender Basil seeds! Lavender does not thrive in my neck of the woods in Texas either I am East Texas and we are humid as well, not as humid as Houston but humid. Like you I have tried every variety I come across thinking maybe this will be the one that likes where I live, only to be disappointed. This would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As sad as it might be, I hate being alone on this LOL You are always welcome to join my seed trading group! Many of us love sending seeds for a sase xxoo

      Delete